Make decisions and allocate resources based on decision-makers’ informed judgements.
All health systems have to decide how best to use their resources, which usually requires confronting trade-offs between multiple criteria from multiple stakeholder perspectives.
Such decision-making is increasingly supported by techniques from Multi-Criteria Decision-Making (MCDM, also known as Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, MCDA) – e.g. as surveyed in this recent article:
P Hansen & N Devlin (2019), “Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) in health care decision making”, In: Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Economics and Finance, Oxford University Press.
- Prioritization of patients for access to elective (non-urgent) health care (more »)
Health technology prioritization
- Prioritization of spending on pharmaceuticals, medical devices, equipment, procedures, etc (more »)
Disease classification and diagnosis
- Identification of criteria for classifying and diagnosing diseases (more »)
Disease R&D prioritization
- Prioritizing infectious diseases for Research & Development (more »)
- Identification and prioritization of treatment guidelines (more »)
Health-related quality of life
- 1000minds supports the EuroQol Group’s EQ-5D-5L and EQ-5D-3L (more »)
Other health applications
- Planning for and responding to disasters and pandemics (e.g. allocating Tamiflu)
- Assessing students for admission to medical school
- Ranking health professionals for jobs (e.g. junior doctors for hospitals)
- Allocating hospital budgets and prioritizing business projects
- Ranking new medical innovations
- Allocating research funding, etc