Examples of 1000minds business applications.
Plant and animal breeding
- Helping breeders identify the most profitable breeds of grass, sheep and dairy cows to develop for farmers, and also discovering consumers’ preferences.
- Creating an efficient Quality-of-Service-based resource scheduling algorithm based on factors such as CPU speed, memory, bandwidth, etc.
- Assigning credibility indices to web-based documents based on multiple criteria related to the documents’ characteristics such as date, type, quality, etc.
- Supporting the design process for developing and testing autonomous robotic systems, including the ARTEMIS-JU project R3-COP
- Studying how Chinese consumers prioritize fruit juice attributes like brand, nutrition, shelf-life and price when making purchasing decisions
- Generating insights into new features and interface enhancements for mobile-banking apps to increase young people’s engagement
Environmental impact assessments
- Prioritizing responses to pollution of streams and storm water drains based on assessing environmental, community, regulatory and logistical considerations
- Evaluating residents’ willingness to trade-off the expected costs and benefits associated with the construction of a cement factory in a rural area
Responding to climate change
- Comparing the value for money of possible geo-engineering responses to climate change, such as space sun shades, cloud whitening and tree planting
- Researching how home owners value the various aspects of rooftop photovoltaic systems when they think about using them to power their homes
Environmental management and ethics
- Eliciting people’s preferences and willingness to make trade-offs with respect to choices related to marine reserves and customary fishing areas
- Identifying how ecologists prioritize ethically salient factors in research in order to improve ethical consistency and moral robustness
- Revealing the preferences of ecosystem experts with respect to plant attributes to prioritize species for restoring grassy woodland areas
- Creating a framework linking environmental and socio-economic considerations to develop resource management strategies for oceans
- Judging theatre awards entries for best design, promotion, visiting production, script, male and female performers, director and production of the year
- Ranking new business ideas and selecting finalists, based on quality of product or service, originality, and commercial potential or community good